|The different components of a nuclear power plant are hereafter represented in diagram form:|
|A nuclear power plant is safe when it simultaneously complies with the following conditions:
• The elements (equipment, material) are designed properly and of high quality, and will remain so.
• The operating procedures are appropriate and the staff that is responsible for their application is competent.
• The operation is carried out by persons applying a sound “safety culture”.
By way of example this could be compared to a car:
For a car to be safe on the public highway
• it should dispose of the appropriate safety devices (brakes, airbags,…)
• the driver should be acquainted with the traffic regulations and the piloting techniques (in other words, he should possess a valid driving license)
• the driver should obey the traffic rules and adopt a safe attitude in traffic.